In the 250 Class, Tomac showed an unmatched pace in both motos. The recently-crowned AMA Supercross Western Regional Champion had not won a Lucas Oil Motocross race since his history-making professional debut during the 2010 season, but on Saturday, he was in a league of his own.
In Moto 1, Tomac was forced to work his way up from a fifth-place start, but he wasted little time in doing so, moving to the lead by Lap 3 and pulling away from the field by over 10 seconds. He put forth a similar effort in Moto 2, overcoming a sixth-place start to take over the top spot by Lap 7 and once again win by over 10 seconds to cap off a dominant afternoon.
“The last two seasons have been roller-coasters to say the least,” said Tomac. “I pretty much ruined my rookie season here (due to the heat), so to come back and get a win is just awesome. I’ve been doing this for three years and every year you learn the tracks and the bikes more, and I feel like everything is working perfectly now. I didn’t get greatest starts today, but I found some good lines and got a good flow all day.”
Last week’s winner, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Blake Baggett, of Grand Terrace, Calif., posted 2-2 moto scores to finish second overall, with Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen, of Germany, finishing third for the second straight weekend (3-4).
“I’m pumped to salvage out a second with poor starts,” said Baggett, who holds a 14-point lead in the championship. “The most important thing is I still have the red plate (for the series points lead). Hopefully I can keep it for the next 10 rounds."
250 Class Results from Freestone Raceway Texas
250 Class (Moto Finish)
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda (1-1)
2. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki (2-2)
3. Ken Roczen, Apolda, Germany, KTM (3-4)
4. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki (6-3)
5. Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Honda (4-5)
6. Marvin Musquin, La Reole, France, KTM (5-8)
7. Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda (7-9)
8. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda (12-6)
9. Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Honda (8-14)
10. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Yamaha (13-12)
250 Class Championship Standings
1. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki, 94
2. Ken Roczen, Apolda, Germany, KTM, 80
3. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 79
4. Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Honda, 76
5. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki, 55
6. Marvin Musquin, La Reole, France, KTM, 52
7. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 46
8. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Yamaha, 42
9. Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Honda, 41
10. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 41
The 2012 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship continues next week, with round three from Thunder Valley MX Park in Lakewood, Colo., and the Toyota Thunder Valley National on Saturday, June 2.